Let me introduce you to the 4 Highlighter Budget Challenge, which I learned about from the brilliant Pete The Planner.
What Pete suggests is to find four different color highlighters, print our your most recent bank statement, and highlight the following:
1. Your starting and ending balance.
2. Your deposits.
3. Recurring monthly payments.
4. Most common purchase.
My suggestion: reduce your problem spending area by 20% per month until manageable.
I created the graphic below after reading Pete The Planner’s ebook “10 Ways to Create Financial Stability Today.”
If at this point you are discouraged (most people are!), I encourage you to watch The Marshmallow Test to remind yourself that YOU DON’T HAVE TO TAKE THIS SO SERIOUSLY. Progress will come soon, even if it doesn’t feel like it.
Remember, change happens by:
- Setting a small, clear goal (example: Reduce my clothing spending by $30)
- Setting a short time limit (example: 30 days)
- Treat yo’ self (example: on Day 31 – celebrate by watching your favorite movie)
Click to download “10 Ways to Create Financial Stability Today” by Pete The Planner for free.